Stitch Era tutorials
This tutorials series provide an introduction to computerized embroidery, also called machine embroidery using the Stitch Era Software.
The purpose of our Stitch Era tutorial series is to help people get going past the very first steps. We are writing down our own experience while we still remember the more difficult issues. We try to group issues in a more natural way, i.e. introduce subjects rather by problem then by tools area. Contents are split over several articles and some topics may be addressed from several angles...
Our tutorials are strongly biased toward going the "vector drawing" route, i.e. creating a nice computer drawing first (either by vectorizing bitmaps, importing vector art or drawing yourself), auto-digitizing these vectors and then adjusting the stitch sections. It makes a lot of sense in our context (educational technology and technology education), but may not in yours.
Our target population are rather ICT-savvy people, for example, students in educational technology, graphic designers, or teachers using ICT in education. I expect readers to have some experience with at least some kind of multi-media program, e.g. drawing, CAD, image manipulation, multi-media animation.
List of Stitch Era tutorials
Tutorials have not been updated for the latest version, i.e. version 20 as of 2022.
List of Stitch Era (v.11/17) beginners tutorials:
These tutorials should introduce all the major concepts and procedures to create embroidery from various graphic arts and also explain how to modify or create your own vector drawings.
- Stitch Era embroidery software (overview of functionality and interface)
- Stitch Era - creating embroidery from vector images (auto-digitize stitches from vector drawings)
- Stitch Era - creating embroidery from raster images (vectorize images, then digitize)
- Stitch Era - adjusting stitch sections (configure the auto-digitized stitch sections)
- Stitch Era - lettering (create embroidery with built-in letters)
- Stitch Era - vector graphics (use the drawing tools)
- Stitch Era - interface features for working with a design (learn about most software features)
- Stitch Era - trouble shooting
- Stitch Era - vector and thread color
List of hotfix tutorials
- Stitch Era - stitching children's drawings (vectorize and digitize a children's drawing)
- Stitch Era - digitizing a portrait photograph (vectorize and digitize a portrait picture)
- Stitch Era - creating embroidery patches
- Conference embroidery
List of Stitch Era v.11/17 intermediate tutorials:
- Stitch Era - digitizing complex vector images
- Stitch Era - digitizing complex bitmap images
- Stitch Era - photo-stitching
- Stitch Era - adapting stitches
- Stitch Era - free standing lace
General articles about computerized embroidery and hotfix
- Computerized embroidery
- Concepts of computerized embroidery
- Computerized embroidery in education
- Hooping and stabilizing in computerized embroidery
- Embroidery patch
- Hotfix stone
- Embroidery glossary
Tips for using the tutorials
- For navigation between various embroidery articles and tutorials of the on-line version, you also can use the little expansion menu to the right. Click on the little [+] to expand You will find this button on top right of each embroidery page.
- Most images in articles can be enlarged by clicking on them... I usually reduce pictures to 400, 600 or 800 pixels in order to make them fit a small display area.
Disclaimers and background
- I started learning embroidery in mid-may 2011 and I only aim to understand basic principles, therefore don't trust everything. Think ! Tutorials will improve over time, but I don't plan going very far, i.e. I am curious about most technologies (there are many to explore).
- I started teaching computerized embroidery on oct. 2011 as a module in a small design and micro-fabrication class for educational technologists.
- In fall 2017 I taught a IV (2017) full project-oriented embroidery class entitled "Embroidery for change". Within this class we also created de tutoriels de broderie machine tutoriels de broderie machine (in french!) and we did a few outreach events, e.g. Health Forum 2018 embroidery or machine au salon du livre 2018 the Geneva book fair, 2018 (in french)·
- While I am working on a topic, contents may change every 5 minutes or so. Reload if there is a problem, e.g. a missing picture.
- Daniel K. Schneider 16 May/19 June/29 sept. 2011, July 2018
Content of this article has been taken from EduTechWiki (en) or EduTechWiki (fr) at the date indicated in the history. DKS was the main founder and main contributor of EduTechWiki. If you cite this page you also must cite and credit EduTechWiki, according to the CC BY-NC-SA license. View the pageinfo-toolboxlink for this article.